Rescue efforts began in the immediate aftermath of the earthquake, with able-bodied survivors extricating the living and the dead from the rubble of the many buildings which had collapsed,[139] but treatment of the injured was hampered by the lack of hospital and morgue facilities: the Argentine military field hospital, which had been serving MINUSTAH, was the only one available until 13 January.[140] Rescue work intensified only slightly with the arrival of doctors, police officers, military personnel and firefighters from various countries two days after the earthquake.[141]
MINUSTAH troops meet a relief flight on 16 January.Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders; MSF) reported that the hospitals that had not been destroyed were overwhelmed by large numbers of seriously injured people, and that they had to carry out many amputations.[142][143] Running short of medical supplies, some teams had to work with any available resources, constructing splints out of cardboard and reusing latex gloves. Other rescue units had to withdraw as night fell amid security fears.[144] Over 3,000 people had been treated by Médecins Sans Frontières as of 18 January.[145] Ophelia Dahl, director of Partners in Health, reported, "there are hundreds of thousands of injured people. I have heard the estimate that as many as 20,000 people will die each day that would have been saved by surgery."[146]
UN forces took to patrolling the streets of Port-au-Prince.An MSF aircraft carrying a field hospital was repeatedly turned away[147][148] by U.S. air traffic controllers who had assumed control at Toussaint L'Ouverture International Airport.[149] Four other MSF aircraft were also turned away.[149] In a January 19 press release MSF said, "It is like working in a war situation. We don’t have any more morphine to manage pain for our patients. We cannot accept that planes carrying lifesaving medical supplies and equipment continue to be turned away while our patients die. Priority must be given to medical supplies entering the country."[150] First responders voiced frustration with the number of relief trucks sitting unused at the airport.[151] Aid workers blamed U.S.-controlled airport operations for prioritising the transportation of security troops over rescuers and supplies;[98] evacuation policies favouring citizens of certain nations were also criticised.[152]
The U.S. military acknowledged the non-governmental organisations' complaints concerning flight-operations bias and promised improvement while noting that up to 17 January 600 emergency flights had landed and 50 were diverted; by the first weekend of disaster operations diversions had been reduced to three on Saturday and two on Sunday.[153] The airport was able to support 100 landings a day, up from the 35 a day that the airport gets during normal operation. A spokesman for the joint task force running the airport confirmed that though more flights were requesting landing slots, none were being turned away.[154]
Brazilian Foreign Minister Celso Amorim and French Minister of State for Cooperation Alain Joyandet criticised the perceived preferential treatment for U.S. aid arriving at the airport, though a spokesman for the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that there had been no official protest from the French government with regard to the management of the airport.[155][156] U.S. officials acknowledged that coordination of the relief effort is central to Haitian recovery,[157] and President Préval asked for calm coordination between assisting nations without mutual accusations.[158][159]
While the Port-au-Prince airport ramp has spaces for over a dozen airliners, in the days following the quake it sometimes served nearly 40 at once, creating serious delays.[160][161] The supply backup at the airport was expected to ease as the apron management improved, and when the perceived need for heavy security diminished.[98] Airport congestion was reduced further on 18 January when the United Nations and U.S. forces formally agreed to prioritise humanitarian flights over security reinforcement.[162]
By 14 January, over 20 countries had sent military personnel to the country, with Canada, the United States and the Dominican Republic providing the largest contingents. The supercarrier USS Carl Vinson arrived at maximum possible speed on 15 January with 600,000 emergency food rations, 100,000 ten-litre water containers, and an enhanced wing of 19 helicopters; 130,000 litres of drinking water were transferred to shore on the first day.[163]
The helicopter carrier USS Bataan sailed with three large dock landing ships and two survey/salvage vessels, to create a "sea base" for the rescue effort.[164][165][166] They were joined by the French Navy vessel Francis Garnier on 16 January,[167] the same day the hospital ship USNS Comfort and guided-missile cruiser USS Bunker Hill left for Haiti.[168][169] Another large French vessel was later ordered to Haiti, the amphibious transport dock Siroco.[170]
A woman is rescued alive from rubble several days after the initial quake.International rescue efforts were restricted by traffic congestion and blocked roads.[171] Although U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates had previously ruled out dropping food and water by air as too dangerous, by 16 January, U.S. helicopters were distributing aid to areas impossible to reach by land.[172]
In Jacmel 70% of the buildings were destroyed and at least 5,000 people were estimated to have died in the initial quake.[173] The small airstrip suffered damage which rendered it unusable for supply flights until 20 January.[174] The Canadian navy vessel HMCS Halifax was deployed to the area on 18 January; the Canadians joined Colombian rescue workers, Chilean doctors, a French mobile clinic, and Sri Lankan relief workers who had already responded to calls for aid.[175]
British search and rescue teams were the first to arrive in Léogane, the town at the epicentre of the quake, on 17 January.[176] The Canadian ship HMCS Athabaskan reached the area on 19 January,[177] and by 20 January there were 250-300 Canadian personnel assisting relief efforts in the town.[178] By 19 January, staff of the International Red Cross had also managed to reach the town which they described as "severely damaged ... the people there urgently need assistance",[179] and by 20 January they had reached Petit-Goâve as well, where they set up two first-aid posts and distributed first-aid kits.[42]
A Haitian child is treated aboard a hospital ship.Over the first weekend 130,000 food packets and 70,000 water containers were distributed to Haitians, as safe landing areas and distribution centres such as golf courses were secured.[180] There were nearly 2,000 rescuers present from 43 different groups, with 161 search dogs; the airport had handled 250 tons of relief supplies by the end of the weekend.[181] Reports from Sunday showed a record-breaking number of successful rescues, with at least 12 survivors pulled from Port-au-Prince's rubble, bringing the total number of rescues to 110.[182][183]
The buoy tender USCG Oak and USNS Grasp (T-ARS-51) were on scene by 18 January to assess damage to the port and work to reopen it,[184][185] and by 21 January one pier at the Port-au-Prince seaport was functional, offloading humanitarian aid, and a road had been repaired to make transport into the city easier.[186] In an interview on 21 January, Leo Merores, Haiti’s ambassador to the UN, said that he expected the port to be fully functional again within two weeks.[187]
Landing ships move supplies onshore from the rescue fleet.The U.S. Navy listed its resources in the area as "17 ships, 48 helicopters and 12 fixed-wing aircraft" in addition to 10,000 sailors and Marines.[188] The Navy had conducted 336 air deliveries, delivered 32,400 US gallons (123,000 l; 27,000 imp gal) of water, 532,440 bottles of water, 111,082 meals and 9,000 lb (4,100 kg) of medical supplies by 20 January. Hospital ship Comfort began operations on 20 January, completing the arrival of the first group of sea-base vessels; this came as a new flotilla of USN ships were assigned to Haiti, including survey vessels, ferries, elements of the maritime prepositioning and underway replenishment fleets, and a further three amphibious operations ships, including another helicopter carrier, USS Nassau (LHA-4).[189]
On 22 January the UN and United States formalised the coordination of relief efforts by signing an agreement giving the U.S. responsibility for the ports, airports and roads, and making the UN and Haitian authorities responsible for law and order. The UN stated that it had resisted formalising the organisation of the relief effort to allow as much leeway as possible for those wishing to assist in the relief effort, but with the new agreement "we’re leaving that emergency phase behind". The UN also urged organisations to coordinate aid efforts through its mission in Haiti to allow for better scheduling of the arrival of supplies.[187] On 23 January the Haitian government officially called off the search for survivors, and most search and rescue teams began to prepare to leave the country.